Sunday, August 19, 2007

Eloise's reading list

I have been looking through the lists of banned authors on various sites and getting very excited. I will start off gently and have picked six authors who will meet the rules and that I know I have or am reasonably certain I can get hold of. I am certain to increase the number of banned authors I own over the next year, so this list may be a work in progress. I am a little peeved, though, that I have just waded my way through Emmanuel Swedenborg's The Universal Human and Soul-Body Interaction, when if I had left it a month I could have included it as part of the challenge!

Here we go, England, Ireland and France:

Francis Bacon: Essays
John Stuart Mill: On Liberty
Laurence Sterne: Journal to Eliza
Jonathan Swift: A Tale of a Tub
Alexandre Dumas: The Count of Monte Cristo
Victor Hugo: Les Miserables

I may also re-read Machiavelli's The Prince.

The book I really, really want from the list is Defoe's The History of the Devil, so if I manage to get a copy I'll also include this.

2 comments:

Imani said...

I wanted to try that Defoe too, even before the challenge, and then forgot about it. I'm sure I could fit it in somehow.

Anonymous said...

I salute your ambition! I want to try the Defoe now.