Sunday, August 17, 2008

Wendy's Challenge List

UPDATE August 17, 2008: I have officially thrown in the towel on this challenge. I’ve failed miserably having only read one book out of the six I had hoped to read. Part of the reason for this has been my ever growing pile of Advance Readers Editions. At any rate, I thank Imani for hosting this challenge!

****************************************

I've chosen six books for this challenge:

1. The Power and the Glory, by Graham Greene (Mexico)
2. The Woman of Rome, by Albert Moravia (Italy)
3. Consuelo, by George Sand (Austria, Italy and Bohemia)
4. The Toilers of the Sea, by Victor Hugo (Channel Islands)
5. Moll Flanders, by Daniel Defoe (England)
6. Candide, by Voltaire (Multiple countries) -Completed December30, 2007; rated 4.5/5; read my review.

You can read my post about the challenge here.

9 comments:

Imani said...

That's a pretty good list. I think I'm with you on all of those authors except maybe Defoe. I've barely considered which authors and books I'm going to read yet -- been too busy preparing stuff for the challenges!

Wendy said...

I picked up The Power and The Glory and Candide yesterday at B&N. I'm getting excited to read books for this challenge - and I hope we will have some really great discussions about them!

Anonymous said...

where can I find a list in English?


Rachel D.

darkorpheus said...

Hmm. An excuse to read Candide and more Graham Greene is so tempting. I'm still looking at the banned list though.

Interesting. Let's see if I can draw up a reading list first.

Imani said...

Rachel, the Wikipedia, Modern History Sourcebook and Beacon of Freedom links are all English lists. (Some of the Modern History may be in French but the words are quite close to the English words and recognisable enough, I think. If not I'll post an English version of it, if you'd like one.)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, how about-
Red and the Black--Stendhal

Decline & fall of the roman empire, vol. 1-Gibbon

Decameron- Boccaccio



Rachel D.

Imani said...

Perfect! I'm feeling a bit behind now. I'll have to start putting my lists together. I'll include yours in my post, Rachel D, if you don't mind.

I should try Candide too, eh? I tried once and I became so lost in looking up every reference I didn't understand that I came to a stand-still.

Wendy said...

Imani: I bought the Barnes and Noble Classic version of Candide which is translated by Henry Morley. It looks like it is organized well comments and questions at the end and a very detail introduction. I wanted something that held my hand a little :)

Anonymous said...

Thanksm Imani! Of course I don't mind. :)

Rachel D.